A while back, I saw someone pose the question, “What is on your food/cooking bucket list?” In other words, what do you want to cook (or in my case many times, master in the kitchen) before you “kick the bucket”?
I found it an oddly interesting question and one that I really couldn’t answer fully at the time. And I am sure my list will grow with time. But here are some things that I think would go on that list for me (in no particular order):
- Homemade pasta: ravioli, linguini, gnocchi… you name it. I want to make it.
- Smoking meats: meats of all kinds… brisket, ribs, chicken… I want to smoke it all. But I guess I need a smoker first.
- Complete the Bread Baker’s Apprentice Challenge I started many eons ago.
- Homemade corn and flour tortillas: tortilla press… gotta have one.
- Meringue: this falls under the category of “mastery”. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have made meringue pies, but have not quite mastered the “mile high meringue” that doesn’t deflate. That’s my goal.
- Croissants: not canned crescent rolls. Real life flakey and buttery croissants.
- Homemade sausage: now where is that meat grinder? Oh yeah. Need one of those, too.
- Boeuf Bourguignon: I received the set of Julia Childs’ Mastering the Art of French Cooking books as a gift for Christmas this year from my father in law. Time to get to know Julia just a little better, don’t you think?
- Lobster or crab of some kind.
There are several things that I have done in recent years that I think would have gone on this list that I think deserve a mention… you know, so I can put it on my list and then cross it off…
- Sourdough bread: this was a huge accomplishment for me.
- Homemade marshmallows
- Chili with no chili powder, only ground dried chili peppers.
- Jelly/Jam/Preserves and canning
What about you? What are some things that you want to at least try to cook/bake/make in the kitchen before you “kick the bucket”?